This post is sponsored by Horizon Organic, but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Christmas was always a big deal in our home growing up. My dad would sit at the top of the stairs with the video camera, waiting for all 8 of us kids to scramble up the steps, dressed in some goofy outfit as we paraded towards the living room for that first glimpse of the tree and all of the goodies Santa left us. My mom would have breakfast already in the oven, so the whole house smelled delicious.
As I got older and started my own family, we still incorporate some of my favorite childhood holiday traditions – including my mom’s breakfast casserole. I am so happy to partner with Horizon Organic to share this family favorite recipe (which also happens to be gluten free and super easy to make!)
Horizon Organic dairy contains no artificial flavors or preservatives, no GMOs, and tastes delicious!! I love that they promise to keep all the weird stuff out – so I can focus on creating yummy, good-for-you dishes my family will enjoy!
Now that I’m a mom, I realize just how much you have to do to prep for holidays with kiddos, so the fact that you can prep this yummy casserole the night before is a total bonus! You can bet these holiday recipes will make repeat appearances on Christmas, Easter and any other holiday year after year.
And while Christmas isn’t Christmas without a classic breakfast casserole, as I get older, I have to add, Christmas isn’t Christmas without a good festive drink to accompany it! I am happy to share this classic holiday drink I’ve grown to love over the years – egg nog!!
I love splashing some Horizon Organic Egg Nog in my coffee with a dash of cinnamon for a holiday twist in the morning or enjoying it as a yummy holiday cocktail! Save this recipe for next year – because with just a few ingredients, you are on your way to some delicious holiday cheer!
Cheesy Bacon and Hash Brown Egg Casserole
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Horizon Organic milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 parsley
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cup shredded Horizon Organic cheese (Cheddar or Montery Jack – I used both)
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp or in the oven. Remove and drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons. In the same skillet, sauté onion and green pepper in bacon drippings until tender; remove with a slotted spoon into separate bowl. Allow to cool prior to mixing in with eggs if you are preparing casserole to be made the next day.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and seasonings. Stir in the hash browns, cheese, onion mixture, and bacon.
- Transfer to a greased 13×9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 16 oz Horizon Organic Eggnog
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 pinch of clove
- 4 oz Bourbon (optional)
Mix together ingredients in a container with a lid – I use a large mason jar – shake together. Pour in glasses and garnish with cinnamon.